For potential and existing Kinsta clients who require more resources than our standard plans provide, we provide a dedicated server option. Unlike the infrastructure for our standard plans, which use containerization technologies to assign and autoscale server resources in a safe and performant manner, sites hosted on dedicated servers are single-tenant and have unrestricted access to the server’s complete capabilities.
In addition to being effective for large, high-traffic websites, dedicated servers are also advantageous for websites that anticipate a traffic spike. In either scenario, our team is prepared to assist you in configuring a dedicated server that suits your requirements.
What Is a Dedicated Server?
Due to the fact that Kinsta employs a finely-tuned hosting stack powered by Google Cloud Platform (GCP), the vast majority of websites can function without issue on our standard plans. Extremely high-traffic websites that are unable to utilize page caching effectively or require extremely high CPU and RAM consumption may demand more resources.
Thus, our dedicated servers come into play!
Dedicated Servers for High-Traffic Sites
On dedicated servers, websites have complete access to the CPU and RAM. This means that the number of PHP workers on a dedicated server can be adjusted to meet the individual requirements of a website. In addition, websites hosted on dedicated servers can maximize server resources for processing computationally intensive MySQL queries, PHP template code, and more. Dedicated resources can be incredibly advantageous for high-traffic websites with a great deal of non-cacheable content.
Dedicated Servers for Temporary Traffic Surges
Our dedicated server solution is also an excellent option for websites that anticipate future traffic growth. For instance, if you’re currently on a Business 1 plan and you’re planning to air a Super Bowl ad in a few weeks, you should upgrade your WordPress hosting plan to prevent your site from going down due to a traffic rush.
In the past, we have collaborated with firms such as DARTDrones to prepare for the “Shark Tank Effect.” When DARTDrones was highlighted on Shark Tank, its site hosted on a Kinsta dedicated server served over one million page views in six hours without experiencing any downtime. Moreover, switching to a Kinsta dedicated server decreased page load times by more than 50 percent.
After being featured on Shark Tank, DARTDrones was able to double in size and expand to over 48 cities in the United States!
Switching to a dedicated server on Kinsta for the duration of the surge event allows you to take full benefit of the high-performance CPU and RAM resources on Google Cloud Platform’s fastest servers in such high-exposure conditions.
How Much Does a Kinsta Dedicated Server Cost?
The cost of a dedicated server varies based on:
- The resource requirements of your website.
- The amount of anticipated traffic.
- The location of the data center where you wish to host your website.
Before providing an estimate for a dedicated server, our team will need the following information from you.
Prices for dedicated servers are not depending on PHP Workers. The number of PHP workers that a specific server may utilize is determined by the site itself, the server’s processing capacity, the site’s traffic volume, how efficiently the site caches, and how well the code is optimized.
Important Information About Kinsta’s Dedicated Servers
To begin using a dedicated server, you must must have an active Kinsta hosting package with sufficient traffic and disk space for all of your sites. If you are a Kinsta customer, you already have a hosting plan in place. Before we can migrate your site to a dedicated server, you’ll need to sign up for a hosting plan if you’re switching from another host to Kinsta.
If you’re purchasing a dedicated server for an upcoming traffic spike, be sure to choose a package that can accommodate the anticipated number of visitors.
For instance, if you are currently on the Business 1 plan (100,000 visits/month) and anticipate a traffic surge of 1,000,000 visitors, you will need to switch to at least the Enterprise 2 plan, which enables 1,550,000 visits/month.
The first month of a Dedicated Server subscription is non-refundable. However, the hosting plan itself is subject to our standard refund policy.
How to Purchase a Dedicated Server on Kinsta
If you’re interested in purchasing a Kinsta dedicated server, the first step is to collect information. Since provisioning and configuring dedicated servers takes time, it is essential to contact our staff and begin the process as soon as possible.
- If your site is already hosted on Kinsta, it may take up to three business days for our staff to configure the dedicated server once you accept our price and pay for the first month of service. Following the completion of the installation process, our team will manage the transfer of your site container to the dedicated server.
- If your site is not hosted on Kinsta, you must contact our team at least two weeks before the site must go live on the dedicated server to begin the discussion. This guarantees that our migrations team has sufficient time to relocate your site to Kinsta and for DNS to propagate globally.
If you wish to migrate your site to a Kinsta dedicated server, please submit as much of the following information as possible.
Dedicated Servers on Kinsta – Pre-Migration Checklist
- Are you interested in a dedicated server for routine traffic or for handling temporary spikes in traffic?
- If you are interested in a dedicated server for a short-term event, please provide the start and finish dates for the event.
- Where is the site hosted if Kinsta is not the current host?
- Which Kinsta data center location would you like to host your site?
- What is the website’s URL?
- Does the majority of inbound visitors land on a particular page? If yes, which page?
- How many concurrent users do you anticipate during periods of high usage?
- How long do you anticipate the average page view to last during peak usage (“Average time on page” in Google Analytics)?
- What is the expected average number of page views per user during peak usage?
- How would a typical visitor navigate the website? For instance, you may state “they will reach a landing page, select a product, and check out” or “they will log into the website, select a course, and complete it by viewing videos and reading material.”
- What would you say about your website? Is it mostly a shopping website? Do you offer a course online? Is it a website for members? Is it a website for news?
- What plugins (such as WooCommerce, BuddyPress, bbPress, Easy Digital Downloads, LearnDash, etc.) are you using to power your site’s interactive features if it is an ecommerce site, requires users to log in, or allows visitors to publish content (other than comments, such as forums)?
- Is your website a WordPress standard installation or a WordPress multisite installation?
Please let us know if there is any more information we should consider when assessing the size of the server you will need.
Please inform us if you run a large number of long-running import cron tasks or require customized server packages. If you have access to specific site performance information, such as New Relic APM, please share as much information as possible on your website’s performance.
Contact us once you’ve obtained this information. If you are already a customer, you can contact our Account Management staff using the MyKinsta chat system. You can contact our Sales team if you are not yet a customer by using our contact form.
Get your applications, databases, and WordPress websites online and centralized. Our feature-rich, high-performance cloud platform comprises the following:
- Simple configuration and control through the MyKinsta dashboard
- 24×7 support
- The greatest hardware and network of Google Cloud Platform, backed by Kubernetes for optimal scalability.
- A CloudFlare integration at the corporate level for speed and security
- Global audience coverage with up to 35 data centers and 275 points of presence (PoPs)
Try it for yourself with a $20 discount on the first month of Application Hosting or Database Hosting. Explore our plans or speak with a salesperson to determine the optimal fit.